Fundraisers were slightly more optimistic this week than last, according to a SurveyLab weekly survey of fundraiser sentiment, with less of them reporting a high negative impact to fundraising within the next 30, 60 and 90 days.
Over the next 30 days, 60% of respondents cited high negative impact, down from 65% a week ago. Sixty- and 90-day outlooks improved as well, with less than half the respondents reporting a high negative impact for the first time since tracking began in mid-March. These are the findings of week 7 of SurveyLab’s tracking of fundraiser sentiment during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Nearly 70% of respondents report hiring freezes, and three-quarters report budget controls or freezes.
- There has been a spike in canceled or rescheduled major donor pledge payments, to nearly one-third of respondents having done this.
- Salary reductions have held steady, while furloughs and layoffs have increased slightly.
- More than half of respondents (51%) continue to foresee that larger events will occur later into 2020 or in 2021.
- Only 1% of respondents held a face-to-face event this week, while 74% of events held were virtual or webinars.
- For donor visits and interviews, nearly all respondents made use of the phone (96%) or video-conferencing (85%) and only 4% made in-person visits.
Based on input from 1,042 organizations, GG+A SurveyLab is conducting a weekly tracking survey of fundraising offices to provide data for the industry to understand trends and conditions during the COVID-19 pandemic. This report contains data collected through an online survey conducted April 27-May 3. These data points are compared to data collected over the previous six weeks, April 20-26, April 13-19, April 6-12, March 30-April 5, March 23-29 and March 16-22.
If you would like to participate in the tracking survey, please email email@example.com. We encourage you to share the report with colleagues.
The full report includes detailed breakouts for each question in the survey, comparison tables by week and organization type, and extensive verbatim comments with creative ideas, status updates, concerns, and solutions from fundraisers around the world.